Delicious Southern Memorial Day barbecue menu
If there's one thing they know how to do in the South, it's to entertain. To pay homage to the fabulous fare of the deep Southern states, we've created this decadent, saucy, bourbon-fueled menu to fill up all your guests (and their bow ties).
From bourbon baked beans to soft, fluffy biscuits, these Southern favorites will make the perfect addition to your menu. Even if you aren't living past the Mason-Dixon Line, you can party like a Southerner (or at least eat like one) at your next big barbecue!
1. Bourbon baked beans
Serves about 8
- 28 ounce can northern beans
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- Salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons bourbon
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1/2 cup onion, finely diced
- 2 strips raw bacon, cut into bite-size pieces
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Grease a large casserole dish (or about 5 smaller ramekins) with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Whisk the ketchup, brown sugar, maple syrup, molasses, bourbon and salt and pepper. Add beans, onion and bacon, stir to coat.
- Pour into the casserole dish (or ramekins) and bake for about 2-1/2 hours with the top on. After 2-1/2 hours remove the top and let cook another 30 minutes.
2. Mile high cheesy biscuits
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2-2/3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/3 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Dash of salt
- 1/3 cup butter, cold and cut into pieces
- 1/2 egg, beaten
- 3/4 cup light cream
- 1/3 cup cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, stir the flour, sugar, baking powder, cream of tartar and salt together. Using a pastry knife, cut the butter into the mixture until it resembles coarse sand. Stir the egg and light cream into the mixture until a soft dough forms.
- Place the dough on a lightly floured surface and knead about 5 or 6 times. Cut out circles (we used a 1/3 cup measure). Place on a greased baking sheet about an inch apart.
- Sprinkle the tops with cheese and bake for about 12-14 minutes, or until golden brown.
3. Cheesy chicken sloppy Joes
Serves about 4
Recipe adapted from My Recipes
- 1 package Texas toast
- 1-1/2 pounds shredded chicken
- 1/2 bottle your favorite barbecue sauce
- 1 cup organic ketchup
- 14.5 ounces canned tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1-1/2 cups cheese
- To make the sloppy Joes, add the chicken to a skillet. Add barbecue sauce, canned tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, ketchup and salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer.
- Meanwhile, bake Texas toast according to instructions. Once done, top Texas toast with sloppy Joe mix and a liberal sprinkle of cheese.
4. Lemon & mint bourbon cocktail
- 8 ounces bourbon (we used Jim Beam)
- 1-1/2 tablespoons lemonade
- 1-1/2 tablespoon simple syrup
- 2 tablespoons club soda
- 2 tablespoons peach schnapps
- In a large glass, mix all of the ingredients together. Add ice and stir to combine. Garnish with mint.