Chocolate oatmeal and caramelized bananas
Don't you love it when you have something chocolaty on the table in the morning? No worries, it's actually healthy oatmeal flavored with chocolate goodness!
Pamper yourself with a little bit of chocolate in the morning. Put it together with your regular oatmeal, then top it with caramelized bananas. Sounds good doesn't it?
Chocolate oatmeal and caramelized bananas recipe
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 2-1/2 cups water
- 2-3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder (depending on the kind of chocolate to be used)
- 1 tablespoon honey, agave, sugar or any sweetener (or more to adjust the sweetness)
- Pinch of salt
- 1 banana, sliced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon rum
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Chocolate chips
- Over high heat in a medium saucepan, bring water, oats and a pinch of salt to a boil.
- When it starts to boil, lower the fire to medium. Add the cocoa powder and the sweetener. Cook until oats are cooked through, about 8 minutes. Adjust the sweetness of the oatmeal.
- In another small saucepan over medium heat, melt the sugar and water until they reach a syrupy consistency. Add sliced bananas and coat them with the syrup, about 1 minute.
- Add the rum and cook until the alcohol has evaporated. Sprinkle with cinnamon powder.
- Serve oatmeal in bowls. Top with the caramelized bananas and chocolate chips.