Grilled chicken, steamed veggies and melted butter on top of a baked potato. But wait, there’s more. This is not your average baked potato.
This is a salt-crusted baked potato! Have you ever tried a salt-crusted baked potato before? They are delicious and so easy to make. As they cook in the oven the kitchen smells wonderful. As if the salt-crusted baked potato wasn’t enough, how about topping it with grilled chicken, steamed veggies and some melted butter with a hint of thyme and garlic. This one-potato meal is so tasty all the way down to the potato skin. Yes, not even the potato skin will be left on your plate when you’re done eating this.
Chicken and veggie topped baked potato recipe
For the salt-crusted baked potatoes:
- 2 large russet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
For the grilled chicken:
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
For the steamed veggies:
- 1/2 cup sliced carrots
- 1/2 cup sliced zucchini
- 1/2 cup sliced yellow squash
- 1/2 cup broccoli florets
- 3 cups water (or more depending on the size of your pan)
For the melted butter:
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 dashes dried thyme
- 3 dashes garlic powder
For the potatoes:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Lay a cooking rack on a cookie sheet and set aside.
- After rinsing off the potatoes, pat them dry with a paper towel.
- Lay the potatoes on a shallow bowl or plate.
- Poke a few holes on the top and bottom sides of the potato with a cooking fork.
- Drizzle the olive oil over the potatoes. Using your hand, spread the oil over all areas of the potatoes.
- Sprinkle the kosher salt on all areas of the potato and set them on the cooking rack.
- Bake uncovered for about an hour or until a fork can be easily poked through the potatoes.
For the chicken:
- Heat the barbecue grill on medium heat.
- Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel and add it to a shallow bowl or plate.
- Drizzle the olive oil on all sides of the chicken.
- Sprinkle the salt and pepper on all sides of the chicken and add the chicken to the grill.
- Grill the chicken on each side until cooked (about 4 to 5 minutes on each side).
- Set aside to cool for about 5 minutes and then cut the chicken into cube-size pieces.
For the steamed veggies:
- Add the water and a steaming basket into a pan (if you don’t have a steaming basket, the veggies should cook fine without one). Bring the water to a boil.
- When the water starts to boil add the carrots and broccoli to the pan and then cover it with a lid.
- After a few minutes add the zucchini and yellow squash to the pan and cover it with a lid.
- Let the veggies steam for about 4 more minutes or until you can see the zucchini and yellow squash start to turn a brighter color.
- Remove the veggies from the pan with a slotted spoon on to a plate for just a moment.
For the butter:
- Heat a small pan on low to medium heat. Add the butter, thyme and garlic powder.
- Stir together and cook until the butter is melted.
For the assembly:
- Cut the potatoes down the middle lengthwise but not all the way through to the bottom.
- Open up the potatoes just enough to make room for the veggies and chicken. Squeeze the sides of the potatoes just a bit to fluff up the inside of the potato. You can also use a fork to do this.
- Add some of the veggies on top of the potatoes. Then add some of the pieces of chicken. Next drizzle half of the butter over the toppings on the potatoes.
- Next, top the potatoes with the remaining veggies, chicken and butter.
- Serve while all ingredients are hot.
More baked potato recipes
Super stuffed baked potatoes
Baked potato with eggs
Twice baked potatoes