Give your grilled shrimp a makeover with the Vietnamese flavors of lemongrass and chili paste.
Shrimp on a stick
Grilling season just got better! These lemongrass shrimp skewers are full of bright and spicy flavors.
Lemongrass shrimp skewers recipe
Serves 4-6 as an appetizer
- 1 stalk lemongrass, woody ends trimmed and coarsely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground chili paste
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pound medium to large raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Finely chopped scallions or mint
- Bamboo skewers, soaked in water for at least 30 minutes
- Vietnamese dipping sauce (recipe follows)
- In a blender or food processor, combine the lemongrass, garlic, fish sauce, soy sauce, chili paste, sugar, lime juice, vegetable oil and black pepper until smooth.
- Transfer lemongrass mixture to a medium bowl and add the shrimp. Toss well to coat. Marinate for 15-30 minutes. Thread the shrimp onto the skewers.
- Preheat a grill and grill shrimp for a couple minutes each side, until cooked through.
- Serve with Vietnamese dipping sauce.
Vietnamese dipping sauce recipe
Adapted from Into the Vietnamese Kitchen
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup fish sauce
- 1-2 Thai chilies or Serrano peppers, sliced into thin rings
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl and stir to dissolve the sugar. Taste and adjust amounts, as necessary, to desired flavor.