Sweet juicy tomatoes aren’t just for salads anymore. In this recipe, we take ripe sweet tomatoes and top them with a cheesy Asiago topping made up of breadcrumbs and fresh herbs, then they are baked. These pair wonderfully with a glass of chilled white wine.
Sometimes when we see tomatoes we instantly think of using them as a sandwich or salad topping. Here we share a new way to enjoy sweet and juicy tomatoes by topping them with a cheesy breadcrumb topping and baking them. Once baked they become even sweeter and the topping adds a nice texture with a little bit of crunch.
Baked Asiago summer tomatoes recipe
Inspired by how sweet it is
Serves 4 (2 halves per person)
- 4 large very ripe tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Asiago cheese
- 2 – 3 garlic cloves, very finely chopped or mashed in a garlic press
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a bowl, mix together the breadcrumbs, Asiago cheese, garlic, herbs, salt and pepper mixing well. Lightly spray with cooking spray or line with parchment paper a baking pan or a casserole dish .
- Lay the slices of the tomatoes on the baking pan and spoon the cheesy breadcrumb mixture over top. Bake for 3-5 minutes or until the tops of the breadcrumb mixture starts to turn a golden brown. Remove from oven allowing to cool for several minutes and serve.