In Paris, there are bakeries and pastry shops on almost every corner. Coffee is served with a crispy croissant or a luscious cheese Danish. Since taking mom to Paris for Mother’s Day might be a bit out of the question, why not give her a tray of your homemade pastries?
Eat like a Parisian this Mother’s Day with one of these decadent, fruity, sweet and gooey homemade Danishes and pastries. Before you run to the Entenmanns’ aisle because homemade Danishes sound tough, give these recipes a try. Made from puff pastry dough and crescent rolls, these are as easy as they are completely delicious.
Apple pie Danish recipe
Yields 4 rolls
- 1 tube crescent rolls
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- About 1/2 green apple, chopped
- 1/4 cup cinnamon sugar
- 2-1/2 tablespoons chopped pecans
- Cinnamon roll glaze (use recipe for glaze below)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a cake pan with nonstick cooking spray and line with parchment paper.
- Unroll the crescent rolls into four rectangles. Push the dough together so you close the creases. Cover the rectangles with 2 tablespoons melted butter and then sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
- Repeat the process with the rest of the rectangles. Top each rectangle with about 1 teaspoon of chopped pecans. Roll the rectangles into a jellyroll from the long side. Then coil the rolls into a circle. Place on the parchment paper and squish the middle down so you can fill them.
- Mix the apples, butter and 2 tablespoons cinnamon sugar together. Top the middle of the rolls with the apple mixture. Top with a dash more cinnamon sugar.
- Bake for about 15-17 minutes, or until golden brown. Sprinkle with glaze.
Blueberry cheesecake pastry recipe
Recipe inspired by Chef in Training
Serves about 14
For the filling:
- 2 sheets thawed puff pastry
- 8 ounces light cream cheese
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup fresh blueberries
- 3/4 cup blueberry pie filling
For the glaze:
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1-1/4 cups confectioners’ sugar
- Roll out one half of the puff pastry. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix the cream cheese, vanilla and sugar with an electric mixer. Cover the top of the puff pastry with the cream cheese.
- Stir the blueberries and pie filling together. Spread the blueberry mix over the top of the cream cheese.
- Roll the second puff pastry sheet out and cut into strips (using a pizza cutter). Top the blueberries with the strips in a horizontal or lattice pattern.
- Bake for about 25 minutes, or until golden brown.
- To make the glaze, mix the cream cheese, soft butter, vanilla and sugar together with an electric mixer. Whisk in the heavy cream until you get a glaze consistency. Pour over the pastry and serve.
Decadent cream cheese & walnut roll recipe
Yields about 6 rolls
- 1 tub crescent dough (not rolls)
- 6 ounces cream cheese
- 1/4 cup + 1-1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray and line a sheet with parchment paper.
- Roll the dough out with a rolling pin to slightly flatten.
- Beat the cream cheese, sugar and vanilla together with an electric mixer until creamed. Spread about 4 ounces of cream cheese over the dough and cover with cinnamon and chopped pecans.
- Roll the dough into a jellyroll and cut into cinnamon roll slices (don’t worry if some of the filling comes out).
- Place on the paper. Bake for about 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown. Once cooled, top the rolls with the rest of the cinnamon roll filling and cover with chopped nuts and cinnamon.