Grilled desserts: Banana splits
Fire up your grill and put a twist on the traditional banana split!
Who says grilling is just for meat and vegetables? Throw a spin on the classic banana split by grilling your bananas. Warm, tender grilled bananas make this banana split a perfect ending to your grilled meal!
Choose firm (but ripe) bananas and cut lengthwise in skins. Place bananas cut-side down on the grate of your pre-heated grill.
Using a long-handled spatula or pair of tongs, turn bananas once grill marks appear and brush with a honey-cinnamon mixture. Cook until skin begins to pull away from bananas. Peel skins away from bananas, place in a serving bowl and start building your banana split!
Grilled banana splits recipe
- 4 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 4 firm ripe bananas
- Your favorite ice cream
- 1 cup pineapple tidbits, divided
- 1 cup chopped walnuts, divided
- Store-bought fudge topping
- Whipped topping
- Maraschino cherries
- In a small bowl, combine the honey and ground cinnamon. Stir to combine.
- Preheat your grill to medium high heat. Lightly coat your grill rack with cooking spray.
- Slice bananas lengthwise (with skin on).
- Place bananas (cut-side down) on grill. Grill bananas until grill marks appear, about 1-1/2 minutes.
- Using long-handled tongs or a spatula, turn bananas. Brush generously with honey-cinnamon mixture.
- Cook until skin begins to pull away from bananas, approximately 3 minutes.
- Remove skins from bananas and place 2 cooked slices in a serving dish. Top with ice cream scoops, pineapple tidbits, walnuts and your desired amount of fudge topping. Top with whipped cream and maraschino cherries.