Grilled desserts: Pineapple shortcake
Grilling is a favorite summer pastime, so why not grill dessert while the grill is still hot?
When most people think of grilling, the first food that normally comes to mind is meat. Complete your grilled meal by grilling sweet pineapple chunks and pound cake slices for a quick dessert that comes together in less than 10 minutes. Use homemade, store-bought or frozen pound cake.
Basting the pineapple with a honey and cinnamon mixture creates a sweet, spicy smoky flavor.
Grill the poundcake slices just long enough to see grill marks. Top with whipped topping and a maraschino cherry. Have fun and intensify flavors by grilling your dessert!
Grilled pineapple shortcake recipe
- 4 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 8 pound cake slices
- 4 skewers fresh pineapple chunks
- Whipped topping
- Maraschino cherries
- In a small bowl, combine the honey and ground cinnamon. Stir to combine.
- Preheat your grill (medium high heat). Lightly coat your grill rack with cooking spray.
- Place pineapple skewers on grill and cook until heated through and grill marks appear, approximately 2 minutes on each side. Generously baste with honey-cinnamon mixture while grilling.
- Grill pound cake slices using tongs just long enough to heat thoroughly with grill marks, approximately 30 seconds each side.
- Build each sandwich by using 1 skewer of grilled pineapple chunks. Top with whipped topping and a maraschino cherry.