No more take-out! This baked sweet and sour chicken is filled with fresh ingredients and tossed with a simple homemade sweet sauce. With this homemade take-out, you don’t have to worry about MSG or any other scary preservatives.
There is no need to always rely on take-out for your Chinese food cravings. This simple homemade sweet and sour chicken is perfect for the weeknight dinner rush. Perfectly sweet and perfectly sour, your family will love this dish.
Baked sweet and sour chicken recipe
Adapted from Life as a Lofthouse
Yields 9 x 13-inch dish
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons ketchup
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Add oil to a large skillet over medium heat.
- Season your cut chicken breast with salt and pepper. Dredge through cornstarch, toss in egg and add to the hot oil in the skillet.
- Cook till browned but not completely cooked through. Add all browned chicken to a 9 x 13-inch glass casserole dish.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together brown sugar, ketchup, apple cider vinegar, low-sodium soy sauce and garlic powder.
- Pour over the chicken and add to the oven. Cook for 1 hour. Turn the chicken every 15 minutes to insure that it evenly cooks and crisps.
- Serve over rice.