Bread pudding doesn’t have to be reserved for sweet ingredients. Smoky bacon and cheese are combined with French bread to make an addicting side dish.
Don’t settle for the same boring breakfast food. This delicious bread pudding takes classic breakfast ingredients, but puts them together in a fun way. You won’t want to stop after one piece of this delectable bread pudding! Who said bread pudding was just for dessert?
Bacon and egg bread pudding recipe
Yields 9 x 13-inch dish
- 1 loaf French bread, cubed and left out overnight to get a little stale
- 1 pound bacon
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 8 large eggs
- 3-1/2 cups half-and-half
- 3 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and spray a 9 x 13-inch pan with nonstick spray, set aside.
- Slice the bacon into little pieces and cook till crispy. Add cooked bacon to a paper towel-lined plate to drain. Pour bacon grease out of the pan, reserving 2 tablespoons.
- Add butter to the pan with the reserved bacon grease and add in the garlic and onion. Cook over medium heat till soft. Take off heat.
- In a large bowl whisk together eggs and half-and-half. Add in bread cubes, bacon, garlic/onion mixture, 2 cups shredded cheese, salt and pepper. Mix, let sit for 5 minutes and add to prepared pan.
- Cover with remaining 1 cup cheese and bake for 45 minutes until brown on top and middle is set.