Cod pieces are seasoned, coated in panko, lightly fried in olive oil and finished in the oven for a deliciously crispy fish taco recipe you’ll go back to again and again!
The combination of crispy fish with the creamy avocado sauce topped off with fresh chopped lettuce and onion makes a fish taco that’s out of this world!
Fish tacos with avocado cream sauce recipe
Yields about 8-10 fish tacos
- 1-1/2 pounds cod, cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1-1/2 tablespoons chili powder (divided 1 and 1/2)
- 2 teaspoons cumin (divided 1 and 1)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons garlic powder (divided 1 and 1/2)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons onion powder (divided 1 and 1/2)
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 egg, beaten (plus 2 tablespoons water)
- 2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 2 cups chopped lettuce
- 1 white onion, diced
- 8-10 soft taco shells, warmed
- Avocado cream sauce (ingredients and directions below)
- Chipotle Tabasco or favorite hot sauce (optional)
- Chopped cilantro for garnish
In a small bowl, mix together 1/2 tablespoon of chili powder, 1 teaspoon cumin, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon onion powder, Kosher salt and black pepper. Sprinkle the spice mixture all over the fish, coating all sides. Allow fish to marinate in the spice mixture for 10 minutes.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In a large zip-closed bag, add panko, 1 tablespoon chili powder, 1 teaspoon cumin, 1 teaspoon garlic powder and 1 teaspoon onion powder. Prepare egg wash by whisking together 1 egg and 2 tablespoons of water. Place seasoned fish pieces (a few at a time) in the egg wash, coating all sides, and then place fish in the bag with the panko. Once all the fish is in the bag, seal it up and shake the bag around so the panko lightly coats the fish pieces.
Coat a frying pan with olive oil and heat it up over medium heat for 2 minutes. Add fish in batches and fry the fish on all sides until the panko browns and looks crispy, about 2 minutes per batch. (You’re finishing the cooking of the fish in the oven, so it’s OK to undercook the fish at this point.)
Once all the fish has been fried, place the fish on a pan and finish cooking in the oven for 4-5 minutes. Remove from the oven and check a piece for doneness. Taste and salt only if needed. Serve a few pieces of the fish inside a warm flour tortilla with avocado cream sauce (below), lettuce, onion, chopped cilantro and chipotle Tabasco sauce is using.
Avocado cream sauce recipe
- 1 Haas avocado, ripe
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and chopped
- Juice from 1 lime
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup cilantro (a good handful)
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed. Serve on fish tacos.