Sunday dinner: Easy chicken cordon bleu
Chicken cordon bleu sounds fancy, but it's actually very simple to make for a Sunday dinner. What a treat!
Up for a special meal for Sunday dinner? This French-inspired dish, easy chicken cordon bleu, sounds fancy but it won't take long to make or require out-of-the-ordinary ingredients.
This recipes includes Swiss cheese, ham and a few additional seasonings all rolled up in a chicken breast and baked to perfection.
Easy chicken cordon bleu recipe
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1/4 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 (12-inch) sheets waxed paper
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 4 teaspoons whole-grain or Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons dry rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
- 4 slices deli ham
- 8 toothpicks
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly coat an 8 x 8-inch baking pan with the nonstick cooking spray and set it aside.
- Place the melted butter in a shallow dish and set it aside. Mix the breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese in a shallow bowl and set it aside.
- Place the chicken breasts on one sheet of waxed paper and cover it with the remaining waxed paper. Use a meat mallet or rolling pin to pound the breasts until they are about 1/4-inch thick.
- Add one teaspoon of the Dijon mustard to the center of each chicken breast. Place one slice of cheese on each breast, followed by one slice of the ham.
- Sprinkle each chicken breast with the rosemary, followed by a bit of ground black pepper.
- For each chicken breast, start at one end and roll it up tightly. Use two toothpicks to secure the roll.
- Use a pastry brush to coat the rolls with the melted butter, then sprinkle the entire roll generously with the breadcrumbs.
- Place each roll, seam side down, in the baking dish and cook for 40 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through (a safe cooking temperature for chicken, according to the FDA, is 165 degrees F).
- Serve warm.
Roll up this recipe for a special Sunday dinner!