Meatless Monday: Tofu and black bean breakfast burritos
It’s Meatless Monday. To get your day off to the right start, try these healthy, tasty breakfast burritos!
Burritos for breakfast can be a great meal! This Meatless Monday version uses tofu instead of eggs and adds in black beans, veggies and some cheese for a terrific alternative to say, cereal!
Tofu and black bean breakfast burrito recipe
- 1-1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 1/4 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 ounces firm tofu, pressed with a few paper towels to remove excess liquid
- 1/3 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 (6 inch) whole wheat tortillas
- 3 ounces shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted and sliced
- Salsa and sour cream as garnish
- Add the olive oil to a large saute pan over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the onion and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add the red bell pepper to the onions, along with the salt and pepper, and mix well.
- Add the tofu and break it into small pieces using the back of a wooden spoon. Cook for about a minute or until heated through.
- Add the black beans to the mixture, stir to combine and, when the beans are warm, remove the mixture from the heat.
- Spoon half the mixture into the center of a tortilla. Sprinkle with half the cheese and add several slices of avocado.
- Wrap the tortilla tightly, slice in half and serve.
- Repeat with the remaining tortilla and filling.
Roll with it for breakfast!