Vegan asparagus soup
Cream soups do not need to be heavy. This vegan cream of asparagus soup uses nondairy milk to achieve a silky smooth finish.
For a more traditional soup, simply swap out the nondairy milk for cream or half-and-half!
Vegan cream of asparagus soup recipe
- 1-1/2 pounds chopped asparagus
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- Leaves from 1 sprig thyme
- 3 cups homemade or low-sodium vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup almond or soy milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
- Pinch of black pepper
- In a large Dutch oven, saute the asparagus in olive oil over medium heat, until slightly caramelized.
- Stir in onions and cook until translucent. Add the thyme leaves and vegetable stock, cover loosely and simmer until the asparagus is soft, about 10-15 minutes. Remove from the heat and cool slightly.
- Transfer soup to a blender and puree until smooth. Strain soup through a fine mesh strainer into a saucepan. Discard any solids. Add the almond or soy milk, salt and pepper and stir until hot. Serve.