Surprise your family tonight with these simple and adorable sweet and savory roasted Cornish game hens!
People think they’re fancy, but the truth is, Cornish game hens are a breeze to prepare! They take less time to cook than a full-sized chicken and make for a gourmet presentation!
Roasted glazed Cornish game hen recipe
- 2 Cornish game hens (about 1 to 1-1/2 pounds each)
- 1 (15 ounce) jar apricot preserves
- 1 tablespoon chili garlic sauce, heaping
- 1 small onion, cut into quarters
- 1/2 stalk celery, roughly chopped (we used the leafy tips)
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Rinse Cornish game hens inside and out and pat very dry. Salt and pepper the hens liberally and set aside.
- Add apricot preserves, chili garlic sauce and a pinch of salt to a medium-sized saucepan and over medium-low heat, warm the mixture stirring occasionally, about 8-10 minutes.
- Fill the cavity of each Cornish game hen with half of the onion, celery and garlic. Tie each hen’s legs together with kitchen twine if desired and do your best to tuck the wings up under the bird.
- Place the hens in a shallow roasting pan and place them in the oven for 10-15 minutes, or until you see the skin on the hens beginning to brown. Remove the hens from the oven, turn down the oven temperature to 350 degrees F and brush the hens with the apricot chili garlic mixture. Place back in the oven another 10 minutes. Continue brushing the hens with the sauce every 10 minutes to 40 minutes total.
- Remove hens from the oven, turn the broiler on and allow it to heat up about 4-5 minutes. Pour the rest of the sauce oven the hens and place hens under the broiler about 2 minutes or until you notice the sauce beginning to lightly brown and bubble. (Hens are finished when the thickest part of the thigh meat reaches 165 degrees F.)
- Remove hens from the broiler and allow them to sit 10 minutes before serving. Serve with your favorite wild rice and a side of fresh greens.