Preparing dinner in less than half an hour is what we all need after a long day. Salmon is rich in omega-3s and onions are rich in vitamin C, so it’s a perfectly healthy dish for the whole family.
The simplicity of grilling the salmon on a griddle with just a light sprinkling of salt brings out its natural flavor. Pairing the salmon with caramelized onions turns the dish into a sumptuous dinner.
Grilled salmon with caramelized onions recipe
- 1 big white onion, sliced into rings
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 14-ounce fillet of salmon with skin on (or 7 ounces per person)
- Over medium heat in a saucepan, add some extra-virgin olive oil and a knob of butter. When the butter has melted, turn the heat down to low-medium and saute the onions for 20 minutes.
- Add the white wine then turn up the fire. Let the alcohol evaporate.
- Add the vinegar and cook for 1 minute.
- Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle the fennel seeds. Set aside.
- Brush a griddle with extra-virgin olive oil or use an oil spray so that the salmon will not stick to the griddle.
- Over medium-high heat, cook the salmon with the skin side first. Turn to the other side when you see that the salmon is cooked almost 2/3 from the side that is touching the griddle. Sprinkle with salt.
- Serve the salmon while hot with the caramelized onions.