Cookie mini tacos are so dang cute we can hardly stand it
A good Cinco de Mayo celebration usually involves a cold marg and a hot taco, but what about dessert? Take a few minutes to put together these crazy-adorable Cinco de Mayo cookie tacos for your fiesta, and wait for the compliments to roll in. (And even better, there's no baking required.)
The kids will love to make these fun, tiny "tacos" out of cookies!
Mini taco cookies recipe
- 12 Golden Oreo cookies
- 10 – 15 peanut butter candy melts
- 1/2 cup chocolate frosting
- 1/2 cup crushed chocolate Oreos
- 1/4 cup coconut
- Green food coloring
- 24 – 30 Hot Tamale candies
- Orange Airhead candy and banana Laffy Taffy
- 1/4 cup white frosting
- To make the "ground beef," mix the chocolate frosting with the crushed chocolate Oreos.
- To make the "lettuce," add 2 drops of green food coloring to 1 teaspoon of water. Put the coconut into a zip-close bag, and pour the green liquid inside. Mix, and toss well.
- To make the "cheese," flatten an orange Airhead candy and a banana Laffy Taffy. Cut them into tiny pieces with scissors.
- To make the "cherry tomatoes," cut off the rounded ends of the Hot Tamale candies.
1. Prepare the "taco shells"
To make the cookie taco shells, remove the top and bottom wafers of the Golden Oreo cookies, and scrape off the filling. Using a sawing motion with a serrated knife, carefully cut each Oreo wafer just above the Oreo logo (about 2/3).
Align the cut wafers inside a mini cupcake pan to form the angled shape of a taco shell.
Melt the peanut butter candy melts in a microwave (three 30-second intervals, stirring between each heating), and pour the liquid into a piping bag or plastic zip-close bag. Cut off the tip, and pipe the melted peanut butter candy between the cut Oreo wafers.
Smooth out with a toothpick. Allow them to cool a few minutes. Turn the cookie taco shells over, and pipe more peanut butter melt on the bottoms, smoothing the gap shut and securing the two wafers together.
Next up: Add "ground beef"