DIY marinated mozzarella and feta cheese
Ever come across those lovely marinated cheeses at your local grocer but don’t want to pay the hefty price to try them? Here we share how simple it is to make your very own marinated cheeses at home using fresh mozzarella and feta cheese marinated in a light combination of olive oil, herbs and lemon zest.
Want to make a super fancy appetizer for a simple dinner party or gathering? Look no further than this how-to on marinated cheeses. Here we share this simple no-fuss way to add a fancy twist to ordinary cheeses.
DIY marinated mozzarella and feta cheese recipe
Inspired by the closet chef
- 1 (6 ounce) ball fresh mozzarella, diced (it comes in various types such as logs, slices and pearls, use whichever you prefer)
- 1 (6 ounce) block feta cheese, cubed
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1-2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme (or fresh)
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional since this adds heat to the cheese)
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Salt and pepper to season
- Assortment of crackers, warm crusty breads and/or fruits and vegetables
- In a mixing bowl add the olive oil, garlic, herbs, lemon zest and pepper (if using), mixing well. Add in the mozzarella and feta and very gently toss the cheese into the marinade until all of the cheese is lightly coated. (Be extra gentle with the feta as it can break apart easily.) Cover and allow the cheese to marinate in the mixture for several hours.
- When ready to serve, add the cheese to a serving platter or to a bowl. Pair with a nice glass of red or white wine and serve with warm crusty bread, crackers or an assortment of fruits and vegetables.