If you are ready for something unique and bursting with flavor, this is the recipe for you. Chicken is simmered in a spicy green curry sauce then topped with fresh ingredients and wrapped in tortillas, burrito style, for a unique Asian spin on a favorite.
In this recipe we took the idea of a burrito and the flavors of green curry, creating this unique and delicious green curry chicken burrito. The main ingredient is chicken breast, but if you are a vegetarian or a vegan you can easily swap out the chicken and use garbanzo beans (also known as chickpeas) instead. The filling can also be made ahead of time keeping things simple.
Thai green curry chicken burrito recipe
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 tablespoons green curry paste (found in the Asian section of most grocery stores)
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, peeled and very finely chopped
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 6 large tortillas
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- Chopped green onions
- Heat a nonstick pan over medium-high heat. Add the canola oil and the chicken. Cook the chicken turning once until it is no longer pink in the middle and the outside is golden brown about 5-6 minutes. Remove the chicken from the pan and allow to cool. With 2 forks begin to shred the chicken breast.
- In the same pan add the green curry paste, garlic, ginger, soy sauce, coconut milk and sugar. Mix the ingredients well and bring to a slow simmer. Add the shredded chicken into the curry mixture and heat through. Season with salt and pepper.
- To assemble to burritos, add a few spoonfuls of the chicken filling to the center of a tortilla. Top with the fresh cilantro, green onions and gently roll up burrito style. Serve with any leftover sauce spooned over top.
Make a note
If you want to make this a meatless recipe you can prepare the green curry sauce as shown above and use chickpeas (or garbanzo beans) in place of the chicken.