4 Side dishes for your Easter dinner
Here are four fun and easy recipes to make any Easter feast complete: a fresh-tasting chickpea salad, sweet and tangy marmalade-glazed baby carrots, roasted asparagus with a hint of citrus from fresh lemons and a baked potato salad with all the fixings.
With Easter around the corner, planning a dinner can become stressful especially when you have picky eaters. Here we share four side dish recipes to accommodate any type of hungry guest, including those who are vegetarian since these are all meat free.
Chickpea salad with fresh herbs and feta recipe
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 4 cups fresh baby spinach and or spring mix
- 1/2 small red onion, diced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup cucumbers, diced
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper to season (optional)
- 1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- Italian-style salad dressing (or your favorite salad dressing)
- In a large bowl add the chickpeas, spinach, onions, tomatoes, cucumbers and fresh parsley. Add a few tablespoons of salad dressing and toss the salad until the dressing is well incorporated.
- Top with the crumbled feta cheese and serve immediately.
Marmalade-glazed baby carrots recipe
- Large baking dish
- 1/4 cup sweet cream butter (or regular butter), melted
- 1/4 cup orange marmalade
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar (light or dark or you can substitute pure maple syrup)
- 2 pounds baby carrots, washed and dried
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Orange slices for garnish (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a bowl add the butter, carrots, marmalade, balsamic vinegar, orange juice and brown sugar. Toss the carrots making sure they are evenly coated.
- Spread the carrots in the baking dish and bake uncovered for 25 minutes or until the carrots are softened. Remove from the oven and season with salt and pepper. Add to a serving platter and serve warm.
Roasted asparagus with lemon recipe
- 2 pounds fresh organic asparagus
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Sea salt, plus extra for sprinkling
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lemon cut into wedges and 1 lemon sliced for garnish
For the directions, check out the recipe here on SheKnows >>
Twice baked potato salad recipe
- 10-12 red potatoes, diced into small pieces
- 1/2 cup low-fat mayonnaise (substitute veganiase for vegetarians)
- 2 tablespoons of powdered ranch salad dressing mix (if you cannot find the powdered mix you may use 1/4 of regular ranch style salad dressing)
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 cups freshly grated cheddar cheese
- 4 slices bacon, cooked and roughly chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 small bunch green onions, thinly sliced for garnish (optional)
- Over medium-high heat, bring a large pot of water to a boil and add the potatoes. Cook 10 minutes or until softened slightly (overcooking will result in the potatoes falling apart). Drain the potatoes and add to a large mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl add the mayonnaise, ranch salad dressing mix, the sweet onion and seasonings and cheddar cheese mixing well. Add the mayonnaise mixture to the potatoes and lightly fold so the potatoes do not fall apart. Garnish with bacon and sliced green onions. Chill until ready to serve.