Meatless Monday: Green pea and barley soup
Do you have about an hour? That's really all it takes to make this delicious, healthy soup. This hearty, no-fuss dish is almost too good to be true!
Although we're on the verge of spring, the cold weather is still out there. This Meatless Monday recipe for green pea and barley soup is very easy to make, and perfect to serve on a cold night. In just about an hour, you can have dinner on the table. This hearty soup teeming with vegetables makes a flavorful, no-fuss meal. Really, all you do is combine the ingredients in the pot and wait!
Green pea and barley soup recipe
- 1-1/2 cups dried green peas, rinsed
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 3 cups water
- 1/3 cup quick cooking barley
- 1 cup carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup onion, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper, or more to taste
- Add the vegetable broth, water, green peas, carrot, onion, garlic, thyme and black pepper to a large pot and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 45-55 minutes or until the peas and vegetables are tender. Stir the ingredients occasionally as it cooks.
- Add the salt to the soup.
- During the last 15 minutes of cooking time, add the barley to the soup.
- If the soup seems too thick, add some water, stir, and continue to cook for 5-8 more minutes.
- Remove the pot from the heat and allow it to cool slightly.
- Serve warm in individual bowls.
Go green for a great meal!