French macarons have become more and more popular in recent years because of how delicious they taste and how beautiful they look.
This recipe takes a classic macaron and brings it to another level. The macaron is made out of almond flour, while the filling is toasted marshmallow. To finish it all off, the top is dipped in melted chocolate and sprinkled with graham cracker crumbs.
To ensure accurate measurements, use your digital kitchen scale set to grams when weighing the ingredients for the macarons.
S’mores French macaron recipe
Yields 4 dozen
Ingredients for the macarons:
- 181 grams almond flour
- 243 grams powdered sugar, sifted
- 138 grams organic egg whites
- 3 grams egg white powder
- 2 grams fine sea salt
- 81 grams sugar
Directions for the macarons:
- In a large bowl, sift together the almond flour, powdered sugar and sea salt.
- In an electric mixer, combine egg whites with the egg white powder and whip to soft peaks.
- Slowly start adding the granulated sugar. Continue whipping until a stiff meringue forms.
- Add the almond flour mixture to the meringue. Fold the meringue into the dry ingredients with a spatula until everything is incorporated and you get a shiny mass. Approximately 20 folds. Be careful not to overwork the batter or the macarons will bake very flat.
- Pipe the macarons onto a sheet pan lined with parchment paper or a silicon mat. Let them dry for 30 minutes at room temperature.
- Bake at 325 degrees F for 10 minutes, then rotate the sheet pan for even baking. Bake another 5 minutes.
Ingredients for the marshmallow filling:
- 5 large egg whites
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
Directions for the marshmallow filling:
- Combine egg whites and sugar in a metal bowl and place it over a bain marie (pot of simmering water).
- Heat mixture to 160 degrees F and make sure to whisk constantly.
- Transfer mixture to a standing mixer bowl, and with the whisk attachment, beat on medium high speed until mixture cools, doubles in volume and forms stiff peaks; about 10-12 minutes.
Ingredients for the chocolate ganache:
- 2/3 cup dark chocolate
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon heavy cream
- 4 tablespoons powdered sugar, sifted
- 4-5 tablespoons water, warm
- 1/3 cup graham cracker crumbs
Directions for the chocolate ganache:
- Place chocolate and heavy cream in a metal bowl over a bain marie (pot of simmering water).
- Let chocolate and cream sit for 2-3 minutes without stirring.
- Slowly stir mixture to combine. Add powdered sugar and mix until combined. Add water 1 tablespoon at a time, mixing after each addition until the right consistency is reached.
Assembly of the macarons:
- Dip the top of one macaron and sprinkle it with graham cracker crumbs. Pipe the marshmallow filling on the center of another macaron. Place chocolate dipped macaron on top of marshmallow filled macaron to create a macaron sandwich.
- Place fully assembled macaron on a fireproof surface and quickly torch edge of filling for a toasted marshmallow effect.