Looking for a fun (but still healthy) way to serve your veggies? Give this recipe for zucchini “fries” a try!
Potatoes don’t make the only fries in town! For something different, try this gluten-free Friday recipe for zucchini “fries.” There isn’t any frying involved, which keeps the zucchini a healthy choice. Baking is the way to go with this veggie, and the crumbly mixture of rice squares cereal gives them the added crunch. These are perfect as a side to lunch or dinner!
Zucchini “fries” recipe
- 2 small zucchini, ends cut off, and cut into 4-inch long cubes (shaped like French fries)
- 1-1/2 to 2 cups gluten-free rice squares cereal
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup gluten-free all-purpose baking flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon gluten-free onion powder
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Gluten-free ketchup or ranch dressing for dipping (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F. Spray the top tray of a broiling pan (or ovenproof cooling rack) with the nonstick spray and place it on a baking sheet. Set it aside.
- Add the rice squares cereal along with the seasonings to a food processor. Blend the cereal to make crumbs.
- Gather three shallow bowls, and add the gluten-free flour to one, the beaten eggs to another and the rice cereal crumbs to the third.
- Place your baking sheet with the tray near your bowls.
- Do this for each zucchini cube: First dip a cube in the gluten-free flour to coat it, then dredge it in the egg and allow the excess to drip off into the bowl. Finally, coat each cube in the cereal crumb mixture and place it on the tray.
- Spay the tops of all the zucchini cubes lightly with the nonstick cooking spray.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, keeping a watch on the zucchini so they don’t burn.
- When they turn golden, remove them from the oven and serve them warm with gluten-free ketchup or ranch dressing for dipping.
You’ll love these “fries!”