These grilled Greek chicken pitas are fun, interactive and totally delicious! Serve them in foil or wax paper bags to make it feel like they came right from your favorite Greek restaurant or food truck!
Make these one time, and you’ll want to make them at least once a week! Finding a good, quality, pocketless pita bread makes all the difference!
Grilled Greek chicken pitas with simple tzatziki sauce recipe
Yields 4-6 pitas
- 4-6 pocketless pita breads
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken thighs
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3-4 garlic cloves, diced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup, plus 2 tablespoons plain Greek yogurt (divided)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise or sour cream (optional)
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded and diced
- 1/2 cup fresh dill, chopped fine
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 1 large tomato, seeds and pulp removed and roughly chopped
- 1 large onion, sliced into thin long strips
- Jar of Tabasco or other hot sauce on the side
- Place chicken, olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper and 2 tablespoons of Greek yogurt in a large zip-closed bag. Move bag all around to coat the chicken well. Allow chicken to marinate at least one-half hour or up to overnight in the refrigerator. Place pita breads in stacks of 3 and then wrap them in aluminum foil.
- Heat outdoor grill or grill pan over medium-high heat. Spray grill grate or pan with cooking spray and cook the chicken on both sides until lightly charred and fragrant, about 5 minutes per side depending on the thickness of the thighs. Remove chicken from the grill and allow it to rest.
- At this point, if you’re cooking on an outdoor grill, place your wrapped pita breads on the grill and allow them to heat up about 3-5 minutes per side. If you’re cooking indoors, place your wrapped pitas in a preheated 375 degree F oven for about 10 minutes.
- Place the remaining cup of yogurt, lemon juice, mayonnaise, cucumber and dill into a medium-sized bowl and mix well. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Slice the chicken against the grain and then give it a rough chop and place it on a serving plate. Unwrap warmed pita breads and also place them on a serving plate. Serve buffet style allowing people to place chicken in their own pita bread and then top with the tzatziki sauce, lettuce, tomato, onion and hot sauce if desired.