No need to wash dishes with this recipe. Just eat the bowl along with the salad.
These tostada shells are easy to make and can be made ahead of time. There’s nothing like a delicious crispy bowl filled to the brim with your favorite salad ingredients. Make it meatless or add ground beef or chicken.
Black bean tostada bowl salad recipe
For the tostado bowl:
- 2 large flour tortillas
- 1/2 cup canola oil (for the skillet)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil (to brush on the oven-safe bowls)
For the salad:
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans
- 3 cups iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 1/4 cup spinach, chopped
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup purple cabbage, chopped
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 1/2 cup tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup salsa (more if desired)
- 4 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 lime, cut in quarters
For the tostada bowl:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Put two oven-safe medium-size bowls upside down on a large cookie sheet. Brush the canola oil on the entire outside of each bowl and set them aside.
- Heat a medium-size skillet on low to medium heat for about 3 minutes. Using tongs, dip each tortilla in the warm oil so that the entire tortilla is covered in oil. Remove the tortilla from the skillet right away and lay it on top of the upside-down bowl. Center the tortilla so that it lays evenly on top of the bowl.
- Bake the tortillas in the oven for about 18 minutes or until they are golden brown. As soon as the tortillas are removed from the oven, gently use a dinner knife to separate them from the outside of the bowl. Gently remove the tortillas from the bowls and let them cool.
For the salad:
- Warm the black beans in the microwave and add them to the tortilla bowl. Then add the lettuce, spinach, cheese, purple cabbage and avocado. Top the salad with salsa and sour cream, and garnish with the lime. Serve immediately.