Even if the temperatures are still a bit chilly, that doesn’t mean you can’t pretend it’s spring when you’re meal planning. Add this spring-inspired asparagus, shrimp and pea risotto to your weeknight for a taste of spring!
Not only is this delicious risotto low in fat, it’s really easy to make. The key to making a restaurant quality risotto at home is to watch the rice and add just enough liquid. Too little will ruin the quality and too much will make it mushy.
Asparagus, pea and shrimp risotto
- 5 cups chicken or seafood broth
- 1-1/2 cups Arborio rice
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup dry white wine, like chardonnay
- 1 pound peeled shrimp, tails removed and chopped
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1 cup chopped asparagus
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup Swiss cheese, shredded
- 1-1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Dash of salt and pepper
- Heat butter in a large wok or 3-4 quart saucepan. Add onion and cook until just translucent, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and asparagus and cook until soft, another minute. Add rice, salt, pepper and lemon juice and turn to coat.
- Add 1/2 cup of chicken broth and 1/4 cup of wine to the rice. Stir to coat and cook until liquid has been absorbed. Over medium heat, add additional liquid (1/2 cup of broth and 1/4 cup of wine) and stir and cook until all liquid has been absorbed. Repeat until all of the broth and wine has been used.
- On the last addition of the broth and wine, stir in peas and shrimp. Cook until vegetables are soft and shrimp is done, another 4 minutes. Stir in lemon juice. Risotto will be done when all of the liquid has been absorbed and rice is creamy.
- Remove from heat and stir in additional salt and pepper and cheeses. Serve immediately.