These pasta shells are filled with the right stuff, making them perfect for a Meatless Monday meal!
You can use a variety of tasty ingredients to pack into stuffed shells, but spinach is often a staple for many vegetarian stuffed shells recipes. This Meatless Monday recipe for cheesy stuffed shells with carrots and mushrooms includes a few veggies you might not normally use, giving this dish a nice change of pace. The melted, creamy cheese is the perfect vehicle for the carrots and mushrooms.
Cheesy stuffed shells with carrots and mushrooms recipe
- 20 jumbo pasta shells
- 1/3 cup shredded carrots
- 1/3 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, plus extra for topping
- 2/3 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup milk (you may need a bit more)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups prepared tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Aluminum foil
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Boil the pasta shells according to the package directions until almost done. Drain and separate the shells when finished.
- Meanwhile, add the olive oil to a saute pan, over medium heat. When hot, add the carrots and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add the garlic and mushrooms and cook for another minute or so. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the ricotta and mozzarella cheeses, along with the salt, black pepper, red pepper flakes, oregano and the milk. Combine until smooth.
- Add the carrot and mushroom mixture to the cheese mixture and stir to combine. You may need to add a bit more milk to thin out the mixture. If so, add a little at a time.
- Spread about 3 tablespoons of the pasta sauce on the bottom of a 9 x 13-inch baking dish.
- Carefully spoon the cheese mixture into each shell until full, then place them in the baking dish close to each other.
- Spoon the tomato sauce over the shells, then add a bit more of the mozzarella cheese on top.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 20-25 minutes, removing the foil during the last 5 minutes of cooking. The cheese should be melted and the sauce will be bubbly.
This recipe is full of the right stuff!