Craving fajitas but going low-carb this week? Skip the tortillas and have your favorite Mexican dish in an avocado instead!
Avocados aren’t just for guacamole or for topping your salad, they make perfect bowls for your favorite dishes! These steak fajita stuffed avocados are the perfect answer to your Mexican craving, and are completely gluten-free and very low carb!
Steak fajita stuffed avocados
- 4 avocados
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice, divided
- 2-1/2 tablespoons cilantro
- 2 tablespoons fajita seasoning, divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- About 3/4 cup arugula
- 1 pound skirt steak
- 1 medium red bell pepper, sliced
- 2 jalapeños, sliced and seeded
- 1 medium onion
- Salt and pepper
- In a large zip-closed bag, place steak. Add cilantro, fajita seasoning (1 tablespoon) and salt and pepper. Place in the fridge and marinade for an hour.
- Cut each avocado in half and remove the seed. Scoop out the insides and place in a large bowl. Add lemon juice and salt and pepper. Smash to make guacamole and set aside.
- In a grill pan over medium heat, add steak. Cook for about 5-6 minutes for a medium-rare steak. Slice in thin slices and set aside. Add peppers, jalapeños, onions and the remaining 1 tablespoon of fajita seasoning to the grill pan and cook until soft with grill marks, about 4 minutes.
- Fill avocado shells 2/3 full with the guacamole. Scoop about 2 tablespoons of arugula over the guacamole. Add peppers, onions, jalapeños and steak to the top of the arugula. Garnish with cilantro and serve immediately.