Oz The Great and Powerful-inspired recipes
The new Disney movie, Oz The Great and Powerful, premieres this Friday. To get you in the "enchanted" mood, we've whipped up two fabulous Oz-inspired recipes!
Nothing will get you more excited for the premiere than a big glass of Wicked Witch of the West brew or an "escape to Oz" hot air balloon cookie, right? These adorable and easy recipes will have you clicking your ruby red slippers together in no time!
Wicked Witch of the West brew
Recipe slightly adapted from Betty Crocker
Serves about 16
- 1 (12 ounce) can frozen limeade
- 1 quart green-colored sherbet (we used fruit punch flavor)
- 1 liter ginger ale
- 1/2-1 cup vodka (depends on your preference)
- Gummy worms
- Mix the frozen limeade, sherbet, ginger ale and vodka together. Mix well (to remove most of the sherbet lumps). Add additional vodka to taste. Serve immediately or chill until serving.
- Garnish glasses with gummy worms.
Escape to Oz hot air balloon cookies
Recipe slightly adapted from Pillsbury
Yields 12 cookies
- 1 roll of refrigerated sugar cookie dough (or homemade dough)
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 4 teaspoons light corn syrup
- 4 teaspoons water or milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Red, blue and yellow/orange food coloring
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Roll out dough to about 1/8-inch thickness on a floured surface. Using a balloon or hot air balloon cookie cutter, cut out shapes. Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for 7-9 minutes, or until slightly golden. Remove from heat and let cool completely.
- Meanwhile, make icing by mixing the sugar, corn syrup, water/milk and vanilla until thick and creamy. Separate the icing into 4 bowls and dye them their respective colors.
- Using the paintbrush, carefully paint the cookies to look like balloons (we did three sets of red, blue and white and then painted the bottom portion orange). You can also outline where you want to place the colors with white icing gel and fill in that way.