There’s no better time than St. Patrick’s Day to “make whoopie”! Whoopie pies, that is. These soft and fluffy pies are perfectly festive and make a great addition to your lucky green-themed menu.
Not only are these cute, they are low fat and really easy to make. Although they require cake mix, the fat and calories are slashed by almost a third with the substitution of applesauce for oil and egg whites for eggs. Lighter pies mean more room in your belly for Guinness!
Low-fat St. Patrick’s Day whoopie pies
Yields about 12 whoopie pies
- 1 box white cake mix
- 4 egg whites
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1-1/2 tablespoons canola oil
- Green food coloring
- Light frosting (we love this low-fat cream cheese icing)
- Green sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line two cupcake tins with liners or grease with nonstick cooking spray.
- Mix the cake mix, egg whites, water, applesauce and canola oil together. Mix until there are no more lumps. Add a few drops of green food coloring until you get your desired color.
- Pour mixture into the cupcake tins, filling them almost all the way full (the bigger the muffin tops, the better). Bake for about 19-23 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Let cool on a wire cooling rack for at least 15 minutes.
- Once cooled, carefully cut off the tops of the cupcakes, saving the stumps for later. Add a hefty spoonful of icing to one pie and then carefully smoosh another muffin top on top of it. (You want a little icing oozing out.) Roll the icing portion of the pie in sprinkles.
- Garnish with fun St. Patrick’s Day cupcake toppers or enjoy!