Looking for a fun Easter treat that everyone will enjoy? These cute little cookies are shaped like carrots and can be “picked” from their little Oreo dirt planters.
Looking for a fun way to serve Easter cookies? These simple sugar cookies are dyed orange and then shaped to look like carrots. They are served in a small pot with edible chocolate sandwich cookie “dirt.” This is a fun Easter craft that the kids will love to do and, of course, eat!
Carrot-shaped sugar cookies in edible cookie “dirt” recipe
Yields 12 large carrot-shaped cookies
- 1 roll prepackaged sugar cookie dough
- Yellow food dye
- Red food dye
- 1 package chocolate sandwich cookies (such as Oreos)
- 4 small metal or clay flowerpots
- 12 long wooden toothpicks
- 12 pieces green ribbon, cut into 5-inch pieces
- Put sugar cookie dough in a large bowl and add in 4 drops yellow and 2 drops red food coloring. Wearing latex gloves, work the dye into the cookies until the color is uniform.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, set aside.
- Shape dough into carrot-shaped cookies, about 1/2-inch thick. Add shaped cookies to the parchment-lined baking sheet. Leave 2 inches between cookies because they will spread and become bigger. Don’t worry if the carrots are not perfectly shaped. It’s OK.
- Add cookie trays to the oven to let the dough get firm, about 3 hours.
- Remove cookie trays and preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Add cookies to preheated oven and bake for 9-13 minutes until crisp around the edges. Remove from oven and, while they are still warm, stick long toothpicks into the tops of the cookies. Let the cookies cool on the sheet until they set.
- While the cookies are cooling, start making your chocolate sandwich cookie “dirt.” In a food processor add the whole package of cookies and process until the cookies become crumbs.
- Divide dirt between 4 flowerpots and add 3 cookies to each pot. If your pots are very small (or your cookies are very large) you may need another flowerpot.
- Tie the green ribbon to the toothpick and serve! These make perfect Easter dessert centerpieces.