Homemade green bagels with chive cream cheese
Start the day off with a bang! These homemade bagels are sure to impress! Tinted green and served with homemade chive cream cheese. Your kids will think you are the coolest!
Have you ever made bagels before? Don't worry it's really easy! It only takes a few ingredients and a bit of patience. Plus, because St. Patrick's Day is just around the corner we decided to dye our bagels green! How festive!
Homemade green bagels with chive cream cheese recipe
Slightly adapted from King Arthur Flour
Yields 8 bagels
- 1-1/2 cups lukewarm water (about 95 degrees F)
- 4-5 drops green food coloring
- 1 tablespoon instant yeast
- 4 cups bread flour
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 quarts water
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- Measure water in a liquid measuring cup and add green food coloring drops to the water.
- Add all bagel dough ingredients (including green water) to a large bowl of a stand mixer.
- Using the dough hook mix the ingredients on low speed for 10 minutes.
- The dough is ready once it has come together and holds its shape. The bread will be stiff.
- Add dough to a nonstick sprayed bowl, cover, and let sit in a room-temperature spot (at least 65 degrees F) for 1 to 1-1/2 hours until the dough is puffy.
- Add dough to a counter or workspace (we used a large wooden cutting board) and divide it equally into 8 pieces.
- Working one piece at a time, roll each portion it into a ball. Completely cover with plastic wrap and let sit for 30 minutes.
- When your 30 minutes are almost up, start the water bath on the stove and preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. You want the water bath to be a gentle boil.
- Once your dough has rested, line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper and prepare to start making the bagels.
- Working on one dough ball at a time, poke a hole into the center and gently work it out so you have a made a 2-inch in diameter hole in the middle of the dough ball. At this point you will notice they look very much like a classic bagel. Add bagel to the parchment-lined baking sheet and continue until all bagels are made.
- Moving the tray over to the water station, drop two bagels in the boiling water at a time. Cook for 2 minutes on one side, flip and cook for 1 minute on the opposite side. Transfer boiled bagels back to parchment lined baking sheet. Continue with this process until all bagels have been boiled.
- Once all bagels have been boiled, put them in the preheated oven and bake for 15 minutes, flip the bagel, and cook for another 10 minutes on the remaining side.
- Once bagels have been baked let them rest until cool before cutting.
- Enjoy toasted with chive cream cheese.
Chive cream cheese recipe
Yields 8 ounces
- 1 (8 ounce) block cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped chives
- Let cream cheese reach room temperature, add in chives and stir to combine.