Curried chickpea-stuffed peppers with almonds and yogurt
Chickpeas mixed with a variety of Indian spices then stuffed in peppers and baked, makes for a super-flavorful, filling and delightful meal!
The baked chickpeas in this dish could be used in a variety of ways... stuff them in pita bread with some yogurt, serve them over rice or simply enjoy on their own!
Curried chickpea-stuffed peppers with slivered almonds and yogurt
Yields 4 medium stuffed peppers
- 4 medium green peppers, tops and insides removed, blanched in boiling water for 10 minutes, set aside
- 2 cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed well
- 1 cup slivered almonds
- 4 tablespoons olive oil (separated, 3 plus 1)
- 2 tablespoons garam masala
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt (plus more for garnish when serving)
- 1/2 cup raisins (regular or golden)
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped coriander
- Kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Line a roasting pan with foil. Add 3 tablespoons olive oil to bottom of foiled pan. Add your chickpeas, garam masala, brown sugar, cumin, garlic powder, curry, turmeric and good pinch of salt. Mix well to see that all the chickpeas are coated with the oil and spices. Bake in the oven for 8 minutes.
- Remove pan from the oven and add slivered almonds. Shake pan back and forth to mix in the almonds. Place pan back in the oven another 4-5 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and add the curried chickpeas to a medium bowl. Add the other tablespoon of olive oil and stir.
- Add the yogurt and raisins and coriander and mix well. Taste and salt again only if needed.
- Stuff your blanched peppers with the curried chickpea mixture.
- Bake stuffed peppers in the preheated oven for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and serve with additional yogurt, fresh coriander and warm pita bread (optional).