In this recipe for a vegan and vegetarian-friendly sandwich filling, we use smashed chickpeas as our base and add in sweet fruit, crunchy nuts and fresh basil, topping it off with an unbelievable creamy maple dressing.
Sometimes the vegetarians and vegans get left out when it comes to sandwiches. Forced to eat only sandwich toppings is an all-to-familiar problem many plant-based eaters run into. Here we share this super-delicious recipe for a fruity chickpea salad that will leave you full and your tummy happy.
Vegetarian chickpea salad recipe
Inspired by the diva dish
For the chickpea salad:
- 1 can chickpeas (also garbanzo beans) rinsed, drained and mashed
- 1/2 cup diced strawberries
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped cashews or pecans
- 1/4 cup finely chopped basil
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1/4 cup hemp seeds (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper
For the dressing:
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup (you can use agave nectar)
- 2 tablespoons veganaise
- In a mixing bowl add all of the salad ingredients and gently mix.
- In a small bowl mix together all of the dressing ingredients and adjust according to taste. Pour the dressing into the chickpea salad mixture and mix well. Allow to chill for a couple of hours.
- Serve as a filling in a sandwich or use on top of a big green salad.