The classic Cuban sandwich gets a bit of a kick with a spicy chipotle mayonnaise sauce and garlicky roasted pork.
Roasting the pork with a garlicky, citrus marinade adds to the authenticity of the sandwich… the chipotle, mayonnaise, mustard sauce gives it a uniqueness all its own! Delicious!
Cuban style sandwiches with spicy chipotle sauce recipe
Makes 6 full sandwiches (or 12 triangle half sandwiches)
- 1 pound pork tenderloin
- 1/2 cup fresh-squeezed orange juice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon paprika or smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/2 pound country style ham, sliced
- 1/2 pound Swiss cheese, sliced
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons chipotle Tabasco sauce
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- Thinly sliced dill pickles
- 6 small Cuban-style rolls (shown here small ciabatta rolls)
- Kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Place pork tenderloin in a roasting pan with low sides and sprinkle pork on both sides with kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper.
- In a medium bowl, mix together orange juice, olive oil, garlic powder, paprika and cumin. Once well mixed, pour entire mixture over the pork tenderloin. Roll the tenderloin around in the mixture to coat it well.
- Roast the pork about 20-25 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 138-140 degrees F. Remove pork from the oven and allow it to rest a few minutes before placing it on a carving board and slicing it very thinly. Set aside.
- Turn oven down to 350 degrees F. In a small bowl, mix together mayonnaise, chipotle Tabasco sauce and mustard to form the sauce.
- Assemble sandwich by spreading some prepared sauce on the bottom piece of roll, add a piece of Swiss cheese (folded to fit on the sandwich), a nice amount of ham piled up, a few slices of the roasted pork, another folded piece of Swiss, a few pickle slices and then spread additional sauce on the top piece of the roll and place on the sandwich. Repeat until all sandwiches are assembled.
- Place sandwiches in a pan or on a cookie sheet and bake in the oven about 8 minutes or until cheese is melted and roll is crusty. Remove from the oven, lightly press down on the sandwiches with an oven mitt (careful not to break the bread, but just enough to pack the sandwiches down a bit) slice into triangles and serve.