Zombie-inspired recipes for the return of The Walking Dead
Are you obsessed with The Walking Dead? If so, we've created a ghastly, zombie-inspired menu for your viewing party, complete with jars of blood and gooey brains!
Nothing screams "ZOMBIE!" like a big jar of blood, a plate of bloodshot eyes or oozy brain cupcakes, right? These fun recipes will be a huge hit at your viewing party for the return of The Walking Dead!
Oozy brain cupcakes recipe
Brains, aka zombie's favorite food! What a sad day for the poor unfortunate soul who has had his brain turned into a zombie's dessert!
Yields 12 cupcakes
- 1 box cake mix (we used red dotted Funfetti)
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1 cup water
- 1 can vanilla buttercream frosting
- Red and black food coloring
- A piping bag with large round tip
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl, mix the cake mix, eggs, oil and water. Stir to combine and remove lumps. Fill the liners about 3/4 of the way full with batter. Bake for 18 minutes or until tops are golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Remove cupcakes from pan and let cool completely on a wire cooling rack.
- Meanwhile, mix red and black food coloring into the vanilla frosting to create a light pink/gray color. Put frosting into the piping bag and secure the tip.
- Once cupcakes have cooled, pipe one solid line down the middle of the cupcake. Then, on each side, pipe a series of squiggly lines (to look like a brain). Add some red icing gel for "blood" and enjoy!
Bloodshot eyes recipe
Well, wouldn't you be a little tired if you had to stay up three days in a row as the lookout for walkers? Your eyes would be a little bloodshot, too!
Yields 10 deviled eggs
- 5 hard-boiled eggs
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1/3 teaspoon spicy mustard
- Salt and pepper
- Green food coloring
- Red decorators gel
- Black olives or black decorators gel
- Carefully peel all 5 eggs and discard the shells. Cut each egg in half and scoop out the yolk. Place the yolk, mayonnaise, spicy mustard and salt and pepper in a bowl and mix to combine. You may want to use an electric mixer to remove the lumps from the yolk. Add green food coloring and stir.
- Scoop about 1/2 teaspoon or so of filling into the center of each egg white. Add the black olive or draw a black circle in the center of the filling. Using your red icing gel, make squiggly lines coming out of the green filling to create a "bloodshot" look.
- Chill before serving.
Jars of blood recipe
Nothing takes the edge off a long day like a few pints of... blood? This is a zombie's favorite drink to order at happy hour!
Yields 4 drinks
- 6 ounces (1 can) frozen limeade
- 6 ounces white tequila (we used Patron Silver)
- 2 ounces triple sec or orange juice
- 3 tablespoons grenadine
- Red food coloring
- Mix the limeade, tequila, triple sec, grenadine and ice in a blender. Pulse on low until mixture is smooth. Add enough red food coloring so the mixture is bright red. Serve in Mason jars with red straws and enjoy!