Sunday Dinner: Broccoli mac and cheese
What's better than a favorite comfort food made from scratch? This recipe for broccoli mac and cheese is a great dish to enjoy with the family.
Made-from-scratch meals don't have to be difficult to put together. This Sunday dinner recipe for broccoli mac and cheese is a great example. This dish is warm and creamy on the inside, with a light crispiness on top. So simple to make, you might banish the boxed version after you taste this creamy classic!
Broccoli mac and cheese
- 1/2 pound short, tube-shaped pasta
- 2 cups broccoli florets, cut into small pieces and steamed
- 1/8 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1-1/2 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup ricotta cheese (you could use cottage cheese instead)
- 4 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Olive oil to drizzle
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a small casserole dish with the nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese and set aside.
- Cook the pasta according to package directions. A few minutes before the pasta is finished cooking, drain it and return it to the pan. Set it aside.
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the flour and whisk until a smooth paste develops. Slowly whisk the milk into the butter mixture.
- Reduce the heat to low and add the ricotta or cottage cheese. Whisk until melted. Add the cheddar cheese and continue to whisk until melted.
- Combine the steamed broccoli with the pasta and toss. Season it with the salt and pepper. Add the pasta mixture to the casserole dish and pour the cheese mixture evenly over the top.
- Sprinkle the breadcrumb-Parmesan mixture over the top of the pasta and drizzle with the olive oil.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until the top begins to turn golden.
- Serve warm.
Get cozy with a classic!