These gluten-free cookies are sure to brighten your day! Citrus-sugar cookies are a sweet treat with a good dose of lemon.
Picture a bowl of lemons on a table and you’re sure to smile. Imagine the cheer the flavor of lemons can bring to sugar cookies! This Gluten-free Goodie of the Week recipe for citrus-sugar cookies includes both lemon juice and zest to add to the brightness and flavor of these sweet treats!
Citrus-sugar cookie recipe
Yields about 40 cookies
- 2 cups gluten-free, all-purpose flour (or try this SheKnows gluten-free baking flour blend recipe)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar, plus 1/3 cup for rolling
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest, divided
- Parchment paper
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Line your baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, combine 1 teaspoon of lemon zest with the 1/3 cup sugar and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the gluten-free flour, salt, baking powder and xanthan gum and set aside.
- In a large bowl use a mixer to blend the 3/4 cup sugar and shortening together until incorporated. Add the egg and mix well.
- Gradually add the sugar mixture to the flour mixture. Add the lemon juice and 1 tablespoon of lemon zest to the dough mixture.
- Pinch off a small amount of dough to roll into 1-inch balls. Roll the balls in the sugar-zest mixture to coat them. Place them on the baking sheet and use your fingers to gently press them down until they’re about 1/4-inch thick.
- Bake for about 10 minutes or until the bottoms begin to turn lightly golden. Cool on a wire rack.
Enjoy these sunny, gluten-free cookies!