At least 16 people in five states have been sickened by salmonella food poisoning linked to ground beef. Last week, about 1,000 pounds of ground beef was recalled from two Michigan-based businesses, Gab Halal Foods and Jouni Meats Inc.
recalled in Michigan
There have been no deaths as a result of the food poisoning, but at least half the people were hospitalized. Most of the food poisoning cases have been in Michigan, but there were also cases in Arizona, Illinois, Iowa and Wisconsin.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) state, local and federal public health and regulatory agencies indicated that the likely sources of the illness was ground beef produced by Jouni Meats Inc., and Gab Halal Foods.
Seven of the people who became ill said they ate a raw beef dish at a Michigan restaurant.
Check your ground beef
The products subject to recall are various sized packages of ground beef from Gab Halal Foods, and Jouni Meats Inc. These products were produced between Dec. 4, 2012, and Dec. 10, 2012, and distributed to a restaurant in Macomb County, Mich., and sold directly to consumers. These products were sold without a label. The CDC recommends returning or throwing away the recalled meat and warns against eating raw or undercooked ground beef.
Be on the lookout
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration notes the following: “Salmonella infections can be life-threatening, especially to those with weak immune systems, such as infants, the elderly and persons with HIV infection or those undergoing chemotherapy. The most common manifestations of salmonellosis are diarrhea, abdominal cramps and fever within 12 to 72 hours. Additional symptoms may be chills, headache, nausea and vomiting that can last up to seven days. Individuals concerned about an illness should contact a health care provider.”