Sunday Dinner: Italian wedding soup
Sunday dinner is the perfect time to enjoy a classic dish like Italian wedding soup. This recipe is full-flavored and easy to make.
If you grew up in an Italian household, you wouldn't be a stranger to Italian wedding soup. This Sunday dinner recipe brings a classic to your family's table! This version is easy to make because it uses prepackaged meatballs. If you prefer to make your own meatballs, make sure you cook them first before adding them to the soup. For a vegetarian version, use veggie crumble "meatballs" and vegetable broth.
Italian wedding soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound cooked (frozen) meatballs, thawed
- 4 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup small-shaped pasta
- 6 ounces fresh spinach, stems removed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese for garnish
- In a large stock pot over medium-high heat, add the olive oil. When hot, add the carrots, celery and onion and cook for about five minutes. A few minutes before they're finished, add the garlic and mix together.
- Next add the broth and wine and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat just slightly and add the pasta. Cook for about 6-8 minutes, or until the pasta is al dente.
- Add the meatballs to the mixture and cook for another minute or so.
- Season the soup with the salt, pepper, oregano and red pepper flakes. Add the spinach and cook for about a minute.
- Serve hot in individual bowls and garnish with the Parmesan cheese.
Sunday dinner is the perfect time for this soup!