If you love the traditional hurricane cocktails served during Mardi Gras, you’re going to love this sorbet even more. It’s made with all of the ingredients of the cocktail, just frozen and served up in a bowl instead of a glass.
Don’t think this dessert is any less lethal because it’s eaten, not sipped. This boozy sorbet is just as strong as a cocktail! A few of these will definitely land you on your behind in the French Quarter and may or may not be the cause of that weird symbol tattoo you get on your lower back.
Boozy hurricane sorbet recipe
Serves about 4
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 cups passion fruit juice
- 2/3 cup orange juice
- 3 tablespoons white rum
- 1 tablespoon grenadine
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
- Make simple syrup by heating the sugar and water together in a small saucepan. Heat on medium-high heat until sugar is dissolved and mixture is reduced by about half (about 10 minutes).
- Mix syrup, juices, rum, lemon juice and grenadine in a mixing bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for at least 2 hours.
- Once chilled, pour mixture into a frozen canister of an ice cream maker. Turn the machine on and let stir for at least 20 minutes or until sorbet is thick. Freeze for about an hour or until completely frozen. Serve with cherries and an umbrella!