Gluten-free Friday: Quinoa pasta with creamy vegetable sauce
Not too rich or saucy, quinoa pasta with creamy vegetable sauce hits the spot on a gluten-free Friday!
Mix up your favorite marinara sauce with ricotta cheese, add some vegetables and you have the makings of a great dinner! If you haven't tried quinoa pasta, give it a go! It's a nice alternative to regular pasta that is off-limits to those with a gluten intolerance or allergy.
Quinoa pasta is high in protein and iron, which is a nice benefit. It comes in several different shapes, but we used spaghetti style for this recipe. For a final touch, we popped this pasta dish in the oven to heat it through evenly.
Quinoa pasta with creamy vegetable sauce recipe
- 8 ounces quinoa pasta (spaghetti style), cooked according to package directions
- 1 cup sliced zucchini rounds, cut in half
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup diced red pepper
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 12 ounces prepared marinara sauce
- 1-1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly spray a 2-quart casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray. Cook the pasta according to package directions.
- While the pasta is cooking, add the olive oil to a large saute pan and, when it's hot, add the onion. Cook for a few minutes, then add the red pepper, mushrooms, zucchini and garlic. Season with salt and pepper and cook for 2-3 minutes, then remove from the heat.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine the marinara sauce with the ricotta and mix well. Add the red pepper flakes and mix again.
- Add the marinara sauce mixture to the vegetable mixture and combine.
- When the pasta is cooked, drain it and add it to the sauce mixture. Mix well so the pasta is coated with the sauce.
- Add the pasta to the casserole dish and bake for about 15 minutes or until the pasta is heated through.
- Serve warm.
Twirl up this tasty dish!