A steaming hot bowl of this chicken tortilla soup full of veggies and Mexican flavors will warm you up in a hurry.
A big bowl of flavor
Soup’s on! A batch of hearty chicken tortilla soup is just what the doctor ordered for these cold winter nights. Heat things up a little more by topping your bowl with fresh salsa.
Chicken tortilla soup recipe
Inspired by The Pioneer Woman
For the soup:
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts?
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cumin?
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder?
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder?
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper?
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt?
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano?
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika?
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided ?use
- 1 large red onion, diced?
- 2 cloves garlic, minced?
- 1 red bell pepper, diced?
- 1 jalapeño, diced?
- 1 lime, juiced and zested?
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped?
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed?
- 1 (10 ounce) can green chilies?
- 1 (14-1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes?
- 1 cup fresh corn?
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste?
- 32 ounces low-sodium chicken stock?
For the garnish:
- Lime wedges?
- Diced avocado?
- Sour cream?
- Tortilla chips
- Diced onion?
- Chopped fresh cilantro?
- Shredded cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, mix the cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, black pepper, kosher salt, oregano and paprika. Brush both sides of each chicken breast with a light coating of olive oil. Sprinkle a small amount of the spice mixture (reserving the rest) onto both sides of each chicken breast and place on a nonstick baking sheet.
- Roast the chicken in the oven for 20-25 minutes, turning once, until the chicken is cooked through. Allow the chicken to cool for about 10 minutes, then shred.
- While the chicken cooks, heat the remaining olive oil over medium heat in a large pot. Add the onion and garlic, along with a pinch of salt, and saute for 3-4 minutes until the onions begin to soften. Add the bell pepper, jalapeño, lime juice and cilantro. Stir well. Cook for another 3-4 minutes until the peppers begin to soften. Add the remaining spice mixture, black beans, green chilies, diced tomatoes and the corn. Stir well. Cook for about 6 minutes until all of the vegetables are tender.
- Add the tomato paste and stir to combine. Slowly stir the chicken stock into the vegetable mixture and add the shredded chicken. Bring the soup to a boil, cover, reduce to a simmer and cook for another 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Top with desired garnishes.