Everybody loves chocolate on Valentine’s Day, and we’re not here to sell you on anything different. These Valentine’s Day treats are insanely delicious, but the best part about them is they can be filled with candy, ice cream or even a little personalized love note. How fun is that?! So this year, skip the traditional card and whip up a customized edible valentine instead.
Heart-shaped brownie treasure box recipe
Yields 5 – 8 completed brownie treasure boxes, depending on size of mold
Ingredients and supplies:
- 1 box brownie mix
- Eggs, vegetable oil and water to prepare brownie mix
- Chocolate frosting or chocolate candy melts
- Items to put inside: candy, ice cream, strawberries, chocolate kisses, etc.
- Heart-shaped cookie cutter, the same size as your heart-shaped mold
- Heart-shaped acrylic boxes for molding brownies (found in most hobby stores)
- Ribbon or string, for message
- Small slips of paper, for message
1. Bake the brownies
Bake the brownies in a 9 x 13-inch pan, according to the directions on the box. While they are still warm, cut the brownie hearts with a cookie cutter.
2. Fill the heart containers
Place each brownie inside a heart-shaped acrylic container.
3. Shape the brownie hearts
Press them down inside the molds with a spoon or small melon baller. Allow them to cool completely.
More: Edible Teacup Cookies
4. Remove the brownie hearts
Remove the brownies carefully from the plastic molds with a small knife.
5. Fill ’em up
Fill the brownies with desired candy, ice cream, strawberries, etc.
6. Seal the brownie treasure boxes
Pipe a line of chocolate frosting or chocolate candy melts along the edges. Align the tops, and press closed to seal shut. Clean off any excess frosting or chocolate candy melt from the edges.
More: Pop-up Groundhog Cookies
7. Add your Valentine’s Day message
Tie your sweet message around the brownie boxes with a ribbon or string, if desired, and present to your valentine.
A version of this article was originally published in January 2013.