That’s right, these cheese-stuffed meatballs are downright sexy! One bite and you’re taken from… ordinary… to extraordinary!
Kids love these! Surprise and delight your family tonight with this simple and out-of-this-world cheese-stuffed meatball recipe!
Cheese-stuffed meatball recipe
Yields approximately 10-12 regular-sized meatballs
- 1-1/4 pounds ground meatball or meatloaf meat
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 pieces white or whole wheat sandwich bread, cut or crumbled into tiny pieces
- 1 large egg white
- 6-8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese (or provolone/mozzarella mix)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. In a large bowl, with clean hands, mix together the meatball meat, salt, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, black pepper, Worcestershire sauce, crumbled bread pieces and egg white. Once mixed together well, begin forming the meat into meatball shapes but pressing your thumb into the middle to form a hole (at this point they should resemble little meat “bowls”).
- Once you have used up all your meat and formed your “meatball bowls,” stuff the meatballs with a good chunk of cheese and form the meat up around the cheese to completely enclose the cheese into the center of the meatball. Roll meatball around in your hands to make it smooth on the outside. Continue until all cheese-stuffed meatballs are formed.
- Coat a 10-12-inch cast iron skillet or frying pan with olive oil and heat over medium-high for 1-2 minutes. Add your cheese-stuffed meatballs to the hot pan in batches (about 4 at a time). When you first place them in the pan, leave them undisturbed about 2 minutes and then begin to roll them around with a spatula to brown on all sides, about 6 minutes total. (If you move the meatballs too soon, they may stick to the pan.) Your subsequent batches may brown quicker as the pan will already be very hot. (Turn heat up and down and tilt pan to redistribute oil as needed.)
- Remove browned meatballs from the pan and place them in an ovenproof casserole dish with low sides. Place browned meatballs in the oven for about 12-15 minutes or until they are cooked through, hot and the cheese in the center is melted. Let rest a few minutes. Serve cheese-stuffed meatballs hot over your favorite pasta, on a sandwich or as is with simply a fork.