Impress your guests with this delightfully elegant, yet rustic and earthy appetizer!
A crowd-pleasing appetizer that can be served at room temperature! The combination of the crunchy toasts with the creamy cheese and chopped up mushroom bruschetta makes them easy to eat and perfect for a party!
Mushroom bruschetta on crunchy cheese toasts
Yields about 16 toasts
- 8 ounces mushroom blend, cleaned and roughly chopped
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, (2 for cooking mushrooms and 2 for the toasts)
- 2 cloves garlic, one minced and one cut in half
- 2 large shallots, diced (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 tablespoon flat-leaf parsley, chopped (heaping)
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped (plus a few sprigs for garnish, optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 5 grinds fresh cracked pepper
- 1 French baguette, sliced into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 ounces goat cheese, room temperature
- 2 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- Balsamic vinegar (optional)
- Place 2 tablespoons olive oil in a saute pan. Add shallot and garlic, turn on heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionaly, about 5 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and stir often, about 10 minutes. (The mushrooms will seem dry at first, but resist the urge to add more oil. After a few minutes the mushrooms will begin releasing their juices and will begin to decrease in size.)
- Once the mushrooms are beginning to brown and are very fragrant, add the parsley, thyme, salt and pepper. Mix mushroom mixture well. Turn off heat and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Mix together goat cheese and cream cheese in a small bowl, set aside.
- Place baguette slices on a baking sheet and brush lightly with olive oil on one side. Bake for 5 minutes, being careful not to burn.
- Remove bread slices from the oven and, using the halved garlic clove, brush each baguette slice 2 to 4 times with the fresh garlic and coat each piece of bread with a thin layer of the cheese mixture.
- Place prepared bread back in the oven about 2 additional minutes, just to heat the cheese.
- Remove bread from the oven, top each piece with a heaping tablespoon of mushroom bruschetta. Garnish with fresh parsley or thyme. Drizzle lightly with a quality balsamic vinegar if desired.