These mussels are cooked in a rich, creamy mushroom sauce with small bites of pancetta and herbs. They should be enjoyed with crusty artisan bread. Try not to lick the bowl!
These delicious mussels are perfect as an appetizer for four or a light dinner for two!
Creamy mushroom and pancetta mussels
Serves 2 to 4
- 2 pounds mussels in the shell
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 pound pancetta, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 package white button mushrooms, quartered
- 2/3 cup dry white wine
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- 1/2 cup parsley, chopped
- Place mussels in cold water and discard any that do not close when tapped on the counter.
- Heat butter in a large stockpot and brown the pancetta. Drain out all but approximately 1 tablespoon of the excess fat. Cook the garlic for 2 minutes then add the mushrooms and cook until browned. Deglaze with the white wine and then add the salt, pepper and cream. Bring to a simmer.
- Drain the mussels and add them to pot. Cover and cook for 5-8 minutes, or until all the mussels have opened up. Add the Parmesan and parsley to the mussels. Adjust seasoning if needed. Serve with crusty bread.