This flavorful lamb and feta chili is sure to please!
For the best results, use high-quality feta for this recipe. Don’t buy anything pre-crumbled!
Lamb and feta chili recipe
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-1/2 pounds ground lamb
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 can fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 4 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried coriander
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup water (plus more as needed)
- Feta cheese, crumbled
- Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to a large Dutch oven. Over medium heat, render the fat from the lamb and brown it. Drain the excess fat and set the meat aside. In the same pot, add the additional tablespoon of olive oil and saute the onions and garlic for several minutes. Return the lamb to the pot and saute everything together for several more minutes. During this entire process keep water nearby. Anytime the bottom of the pan is brown and looks like it might get too dark, use the water to deglaze the pan. Scrape up the brown bits and toss them with the meat and vegetables. The water will evaporate from the heat.
- Add the fire-roasted tomatoes, tomato paste, spices and 1/4 cup water. Turn the heat up to high while stirring. Bring the chili to a boil, reduce the heat to low and cover. Allow to simmer for 1 hour. Adjust seasoning if desired and season with salt. Be careful not to over-salt, though, because the feta can be very salty.
- Before serving, garnish each bowl generously with crumbled feta.