Chorizo ragu over creamy polenta
This spicy ragu is balanced perfectly by a rich polenta to create the ultimate comfort food during cold winter months.
Chorizo ragu over creamy polenta recipe
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup polenta
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup onions, diced
- 1 cup button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 12 ounces chorizo, casing removed
- 1/2 cup marinara sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- To prepare the polenta, bring water to a boil and then whisk in the polenta. Turn the heat to low and add the butter. Allow the polenta to simmer, stirring occasionally, for 25 minutes. Stir in the heavy cream (more can be added to reach the desired consistency).
- In a Dutch oven or large skillet, add the chorizo and break apart using a spatula. Over low heat, render the fat and then turn up the heat to cook and slightly brown the chorizo. Drain off the excess fat and set aside.
- In the same pot, heat the olive oil. Over medium heat, saute the onions, mushrooms and garlic, tossing frequently to avoid burning the garlic. Add the chorizo. Toss the ingredients together and add the marinara sauce. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve over the polenta.