2 Slow cooker meals under 250 calories
If you're like most Americans, your list of resolutions this year probably reads something like this: lose weight, eat healthier and cook more meals at home. To help you cross a few of those off your list, we've whipped up two incredibly delicious and healthy slow cooker meals for you, both under 250 calories! Who knew home cookin' could be so good for you?
Not only are these dishes super low calorie, they are super easy to make! Simply saute then throw all your ingredients into a slow cooker. Easy for those really busy January nights and healthy to get you into the best shape of your life!
Crock-pot chicken nachos recipe
Serves about 5
- 1-1/4 pounds chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3/4 cup red onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2/3 cup yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1/3 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 28 ounces diced tomatoes with green chilies, undrained
- 2 tablespoons chopped green chilies
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 2 cups tortilla chips
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Sour cream
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken to the pan and cook until browned on both sides, about 4 minutes.
- Add onions, garlic, yellow pepper, chicken broth, green chilies, tomatoes, jalapeno and salt and pepper to a slow cooker. Add chicken on top and stir to mix.
- Cover and cook on low for about 4 hours. Remove chicken from the slow cooker and shred, using two forks until you get bite-sized pieces.
- Serve mixture over chips and top with cheese, guacamole and sour cream.
Sausage and bean cassoulet recipe
Serves about 6
Recipe slightly adapted from My Recipes
- 4 slices of thick-cut bacon
- 1 cup chopped red onion
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 cup sliced mushroom
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans Italian-roasted diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can black beans
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can white Northern beans
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1/2 pound low-sodium smoked beef sausage (or chicken)
- 4 tablespoons part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add bacon and cook until crispy, about 6 minutes. Remove from pan and reserve about 2 tablespoons bacon drippings.
- Add onions, mushrooms and chicken to the bacon drippings and cook about 4 minutes, or until veggies are soft and chicken is cooked on both sides.
- In a large mixing bowl, mash together 1/2 black beans and 1/2 Northern beans until fully mashed. Mix the chicken, 1/2 sausage, mushrooms and onions with the mashed beans. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place mashed bean mixture in a slow cooker. Top with tomatoes. Top tomatoes with remaining beans and sausage. Top the sausage with rest of the tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook on low for 5 hours. Ladle into bowls and garnish with mozzarella.